Looking For Something?

Monday, October 23, 2017

WTF - Do you Alexa?

I feel compelled to write about my newest member of the family,

Alexa.

Yes, we bit the bullet and bought an Amazon Echo and we LOVE IT!

The Echo has helped with timers, ingredients for cooking, beat boxing, science facts, and of course the Magic Eight Ball.

Alexa runs off an app, downloaded to a household device where you can connect the device to your network, control the device etc.

Almost so we've now made her part of the family.

The boys will be talking about Alexa and I'll say, "Don't talk about her too loud, she'll hear you."

They love that she will respond to most of their requests:

"Alexa, Simon Says Max is a butt." "Max is a butt."

"Alexa, play beat box" they then make it rain throwing money on the floor as they dance.

"Alexa what's in a fart?"


I did catch them saying, "Alexa order the Pathfinder Drone Quad." Of which I quickly say, "CANCEL!"

They've linked up their Pandora and Spotify accounts so I get to listen to their lousy music when they are home.

They say, "Alexa play ocean sounds" when I'm practicing yoga so I eventually have to pee.

I've even caught the hubby saying to the boys, "Ask Alexa."

The best was one morning when the morning show was talking about the Amazon Echo and every time they said "Alexa" my Alexa kept responding!

My favorite part of Alexa is the music, with having Amazon Prime, I get Prime Music. So I can sit and say, "Alexa play Amos Lee," and she'll pay the station from my Prime Music Account. Or if I say, "Alexa play Van Morrison Radio" she'll say, "Shall I open your Pandora account to Van Morrison Station?" And when I get tired of what I am listening to, I can just say, "Alexa, play Pimps of Joytime station" and she'll switch for me.

I can be in the kitchen as as I run out of something I can say, "Alexa add Cornstarch to my shopping list," and she does it!

Alexa is my alarm, my time, my jukebox and my fact finder.

I'm not sure how I got along without a friend like her.

Do you Alexa?

If you do, here's some fun Easter Eggs for her:


  • Tell me a joke
  • Flip a coin
  • Roll the dice
  • Rock, paper, scissors,
  • Simon says [thing]
  • Random fact
  • Do you like green eggs and ham?
  • One fish, two fish
  • Say hello to my little friend
  • Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
  • Is the cake a lie?
  • How much is that doggie in the window?
  • Do you know the muffin man?
  • To be or not to be
  • May the force be with you
  • I am your father
  • Warp 10
  • Beam me up
  • Open the pod bay doors
  • Set phasers to kill
  • Take me to your leader
  • Party time!
  • What is your quest?
  • Surely you can’t be serious
  • I’ve fallen and I can’t get up
  • How much wood can woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
  • What is the meaning of life?
  • Make me a sandwich
  • Mac or PC?
  • Do you know Siri?
  • Where do babies come from?
  • Do you really want to hurt me?
  • Who is the real Slim Shady?
  • Who let the dogs out?
  • What does the fox say?
  • Do you believe in life after love?
  • More cowbell
  • Sing me a song
  • Tell me a story
  • Who is the fairest of them all?
  • Who’s your daddy?
  • What are you going to do today?
  • Where are you from?
  • Will you marry me?
  • Are you in love?
  • Do you want to play a game?
  • Are you Skynet?
  • What are you wearing?
  • Where’s Waldo?
  • I’m home
Did you hear the story about the parrot ordering paper towels? The bird heard its owner order paper towels, then mimicked the order until the poor couple got 15 sets of paper towels with Prime Free Delivery right to their door!

Then of course, the hubby who wasn't into Alexa, thought she got more attention from me than he did, goes and orders an Amazon Tap! This is your echo with a rechargeable battery so you can take her around the house! Or in my case outside onto the deck while I work.

FYI - we are cheap and order refurbished devices, if you do this with the Tap, she may not have the updated firmware which includes the Hands Free Mode (AKA Alexa) if you plug her in, you'll find within 24 hours she'll have the update and have the Hands Free Mode available. (Trust me, I found this out the hard way)

No comments:

Post a Comment