Looking For Something?

Monday, August 22, 2016

WTF - The Skunk Update



My little dog, Shawnee has a Napoleonita complex (she's a girl and Napoleon is a boy) meaning, she will chase anything.

She chased a bear rustling through out neighbor's garbage, all of us running after her screaming, "Come back!  Don't get eaten!!"

She chased deer, chased raccoons and squirrels away from my feeders, even ALMOST caught a Possum! (Boy do those animals hiss)

It's the skunks that get me though, because they will let her chase them so far before they've had enough.

First skunk episode:  My boys were fighting in the car on the way home from biking, I got pissed off and dropped them a half mile from the house saying, "Ya'll are walking, I'm going back to the mountain. Oh, and take the dog with you, she'll listen to your complaining."

Of course they look at me surprised, "You're not taking us all the way home? It's cold outside."

"Just go through the woods there, I can see the house from here," I say pulling away enjoying the quiet of my car.

Not even five minutes later, my phone rings.

"Hello?"
"Oh God! Mom! Shawnee bit a skunk and got sprayed! Oh God, she's running over to us, Oh God! Shawnee get away! Mom! Help us! Shawnee go away! Oh god, my eyes are burning!"

I finally get home and they've tossed the poor dog in the garage. I swear there was a black cloud over the residence as I pull into the driveway.

Out came the Dawn, the Hydrogen Peroxide and baking soda.  (Side note: 1/2 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/8 cup of baking soda, and 1 teaspoon blue Dawn dishwashing soap, some say you don't need the baking soda but with that smell I'm not taking chances.)

Second time:

6am, getting children ready for school. Kitchen window open, music playing, nice breeze coming through, dog out doing her business.

I pause. Shit.

I smell skunk.

The dog runs through the back door, past me, spreading her black cloud through the house until I catch her and toss her into the garage. We can't be late for school. 

Take kids to school and on my way back I get a call from the teenager, "Mom! I smell like skunk! Everyone is saying something in school!  Come get me!"  Poor 14 year old showing up as a freshman at high school smelling like skunk.

"But we live in the country, I'm sure you're not the first," I say thinking, man now I have to drive all the way back to Boone.

"Mom!"

The younger son never called, he told me later he just announced, "My dog got sprayed by a skunk" as he walked into his classroom. Good Boy.

Later, eyes burning, nose stinging I'm back with the Dawn, Hydrogen Peroxide and baking soda.

Third Time:

5am, putting lunches together, light breeze coming through the windows.

Shit.  I smell skunk.  This time I am smart, I open the garage door, throw her in there, take the kids to school then come back and pull out the Dawn, Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda.

Third time's the charm, right?

Wrong.

Last night, sitting enjoying a movie with the family, sipping a glass of wine.

I stop.

Shit. Is that skunk I smell?

Shawnee comes running through the open door, the hubby and kids screaming, "Get her! Get her!"

Why is this my job?

Back to the tub, even though she hates the bath, she looks at me, sighs, climbing in the tub of her own volition.

I got tired of mixing together my own concoction. This time I bought the dog store stuff. It works like a charm.

So if you want to buy stock in something, think Nature's Remedy Skunk Odor Remover. For 11.95 a bottle, it's worth the money.

This is a safe investment as I have a little dog that loves chasing skunks.  Wonder what would happen if she caught one? No, I'm not going there.

Have you had any fun dancing with skunks lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment