Looking For Something?

Friday, July 22, 2016

WTF - Workin' For A Living!

Latest conversation between the minions and me"

"Mom can I get (insert something really expensive) today?"

Me:, "no."

"Mom. so and so says I need (insert something ultra expensive here) can I get it?"

Me, "You need to get a job to support your lifestyle."

So they tell me they are going to get a job.  Ok.  I sit back slap on my parenting smile watching all of this unfold with a big bowl of popcorn.

Did I mention their father is an amazing salesman? They've already sold me, I'll pay them to mow the grass because I really don't want to do it.  Then they get another job mowing the grass and I listen to the two of them discuss how they are sharing the money and what they are saving for.....

Did I actually do something right in this parenting thingy?

The job entails me taking them over because I'm the only one holding a license. I take some work with me because hey, this is their job. I am not lifting a finger.

They start with arguing on who going to do what, finally settling on who has the mower and who has the trimmer.

Of course they cannot get the mower started, translated into trying it once before telling me it doesn't work.

Did I mention this wasn't my job? Yep, exactly what I was thinking as I was sweating like a pig trying to get the mower started. Finally, I stopped, wiped the sweat off my brow and actually read the directions on the side of the mower.

"Did anyone read the directions?"

"Yep, it isn't working." One says.

"How about this part saying 'Move choke to 2 before pulling' part?" I ask looking at the choke on 3.

"What? I didn't see that," the youngest says.

"Let's try this again," I say moving the choke and of course the lawnmower started right up.

Did I tell you they did an excellent job on the lawn, one I was proud of?

Ah, that first job where you are paid cash and you take it all home, way before Uncle Sam gets involved.

I remember getting my first paycheck from my job at Doughnut World. I went to my Dad, showing him the total in amount line, it was much smaller than I expected.

"What happened?" I asked


.

He looked at it, then at my face and started laughing.


No comments:

Post a Comment